Sybase EBF 3581 for ASA 9.0.2 causes security error logging into Visual LANSA IDE
|Date:||7 December, 2007|
|Product/Release:||Visual LANSA V11.x (using ASA 9.02)|
|Abstract:||Sybase EBF 3581 for ASA 9.0.2 causes security error logging into Visual LANSA IDE|
|Submitted By:||LANSA Technical Support|
The latest EBF for SQL Anywhere 9.02 (build 3581), recently released by Sybase on its Downloads page has incompatibilities with LANSA.
Specifically, a required database password is replaced with asterisks (*), leading to logon failures during the startup of the LANSA IDE. There is currently no workaround for this issue.
A call has been logged with Sybase regarding this situation and are waiting on their feedback.
In the meantime, LANSA’s recommendation is to avoid
applying this EBF until this issue is resolved.
Customers that have already applied this EBF should perform the following steps to make their LANSA development environment available again:
- Confirm that none of the ASA database services are running
- Go to Control Panel and Add/Remove programs
- Uninstall SQL Anywhere 9 and SQL Anywhere Studio 9 (if it exists)
- This will not remove the Database Services
- Reboot the PC
- Manually reinstall SQL Anywhere from the Visual LANSA v11 installation CD (under D:\ setup\sqlanyw\Setup.exe)
- Apply any other EBF except 3581, if necessary (3508 appears to work without any problems)
- Attempt to start LANSA. You will receive an ODBC logon error and then you will be prompted to enter the correct database login details.
- Enter your usual database userid and password and LANSA should then start correctly.
SQL Anywhere 9.0.2 EBF for Windows build 3575, 3576 or 3581 have been removed from the Sybase download web-site for a reason not related to the issue detailed here but for a problem which affected .NET 2.0 when they were applied. Its possible that any replacement EBFs will still contain the change that causes logon failures during the startup of the LANSA IDE. So, the problem description and resolution may still be applicable for any replacement EBFs for 3581.