Error message that the 'Operating System of this computer is an unsupported platform' at the start of Visual LANSA installation
|Date:||7 April 2015|
|Product/Release:||Visual LANSA - All supported versions|
|Abstract:||Installing Visual LANSA on a supported Windows Operating System can sometimes fail as 'unsupported platform'|
|Submitted By:||LANSA Technical Support|
A Visual LANSA installation will run a series of checks before opening the Installation menu, primarily to confirm that the current configuration of your PC is at a suitable level to be running Visual LANSA.
One check is that your Operating System (OS) is supported. If this check fails you will see the following message:
It has been reported that this error can be produced on a version of Windows OS that is a supported version.
So why can this happen on a PC which is at an up to date version of Windows?
LANSA has not fully established why this can sometimes occur but one situation is
- a previous installation attempt had been closed or cancelled unexpectedly
- even if you cancel on the main installation menu before the installation process has taken place
- a Windows Program Compatibility pop up has appeared.
On this pop up rather than selecting 'Close' or 'This program installed correctly' 'Install using compatibility settings' has been selected.
What this setting does in put an entry into regedit that indicates that you run this program in the compatibility of an older version. So, when it comes to the check of the operating system whilst the new install is loading, it will fail because at that point as far as the installer knows it is not a supported operating system.
There are two solutions for this situation.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Visual LANSA DVD. Find the setup.exe that you will be installing from.
- Right click and select properties
- select the Compatibility tab
- Make sure that the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' check box is unchecked.
If solution 1 does not resolve the situation and allow the install to start without the 'Operating System of this computer is an unsupported platform' message, you should contact your local LANSA support group for alternative instructions.