MSI Installer: Cannot uninstall deployed application
|Date:||18 May 2015|
|Product/Release:||Visual LANSA - V13 and greater|
|Abstract:||Unable to uninstall a deployed application due to an MSI restriction|
|Submitted By:||LANSA Technical Support|
When trying to uninstall a V13 Visual LANSA deployed application, in a certain situation, the following error can be generated by the MSI Installer.
This can happen if the following conditions are met:
- You have chosen to deploy or use an INI file with your application (as a non-LANSA object)
- Your application creates an INI file (using TRANSFORM_LIST, or Stream File Built-in Functions, or using DOS commands etc)
- The name of this INI file is the same as the application name defined in the Deployment tool
- The location of this <appname>.INI file is the System Execute directory
In either of these situations, the deployment tool will pick up this INI file during the version/patch install or uninstall and use the first 2 lines to overwrite the DBUT and DBII values in your application. This is an internal mechanism that is intended to be used for Network Client application setup, but if you have your own INI file then the values in those lines may cause problems.
To avoid getting into this situation, you may choose any one of the following workarounds.
- Change the name of the INI file [to not be the same as the application name]
- Change the name of the application [to not be the same as the INI file]
- 3. Alternatively, if changing either names is not an option, then put the file in a different location. As a suggestion, you can use the partition execute directory or the system root directory.
If you are already encountering this error during uninstall of a V13 deployed application, you should contact your local LANSA support group for recovery instructions.