IBM i applications are very popular and important to many organizations. The IBM i Access solutions allow you to access them from any device using the new modern interface. IBM i Access provides users with a modern environment with many convenient functions for working with IBM i apps and data and performing IBM i application modernization.
What Is IBM i Access?
IBM i Access is software used to easily and quickly access IBM i applications and data. It provides users with easy-to-use features, increases productivity, and reduces support and training needs.
What Are The Benefits Of IBM i Access?
IBM i Access is very popular among users of IBM i systems and provides them with a number of benefits, including:
- The ability to work in different operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, and Windows.
- The browser and mobile device access.
- Easy to use without programming.
- Ability to access all IBM i programs and data.
- Access IBM i resources using desktop middleware.
- Used for centralized administration and management of IBM i systems.
What Are The Key Functions Of IBM i Access?
IBM i Access is easy and convenient to use and provides a lot of useful features that users can access from the desktop, web browsers, and mobile devices. Let’s list its most important functions.
- Ability to emulate 5250 screens to run host programs.
- Access to printers, the possibility of output to the printer.
- Easy access to the database.
- Ability to work with an integrated file system, message queues, and commands.
- It provides a secure desktop-to-host connection that can be deployed using your organization’s existing network security, firewalls, and virtual private networks (VPNs). Use built-in SSL connection encryption to ensure data security.
- Defining an IBM i user’s access rights using their profile settings. It supports WebSphere and Kerberos technologies, allowing users to enter credentials for authorization once.
How To Access IBM i Apps From Web, Mobile, And PC?
IBM i Access provides several different solutions for working from mobile devices, web browsers, and different operating systems. Let’s take a detailed look at how to use these solutions.
IBM i Access Client Solutions
IBM i Access Client Solutions offers a platform-independent Java-based interface that runs on most operating systems, including Linux, macOS, and Windows. It allows you to manage your IBM i system and perform the most popular tasks in one place.
Key features of IBM i Access Client Solutions:
- The ability to transfer data from an IBM i database to various file types on your workstation and vice versa.
- The ability to view queues of output to the printer and download files to the client system.
- Full-featured 5250 display emulator.
- The ability to have multiple simultaneous sessions with different host code pages.
- A virtual control panel to the IBM i operations panel.
- The ability to run IBM Navigator for i.
IBM i Access for Web / Mobile
IBM i Access for Web allows you to access IBM i resources using web browsers.
Key benefits of IBM i Access for Web:
- Server based.
- Provides access to the 5250 user interface and IBM i resources such as the database, integrated file system, printers, messages, and more.
- Access to IBM i resources requires only a web browser and does not require installation and configuration of additional software.
- It uses popular Java technologies, as well as standard HTTP, HTTPS, and HTML protocols.
Using IBM i Access for Mobile, you can access IBM i resources from a browser on any mobile device. It gives you the following options:
- View basic system characteristics such as CPU usage, disk usage, disk pool usage, tasks, and operator messages on the toolbar.
- Management of tasks, messages, output queues, and files.
- View and change information from the database.
- Create and run SQL queries.
- Reconnectable 5250 emulation.
IBM i Access for Windows
IBM i Access for Windows offers many options for connecting to IBM i platforms from the Windows operating system. It is compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1 operating systems. Customers of these systems can use it for 5250 display and printer emulation, secure data exchange with IBM i platforms, and system management.
The latest version of this software is IBM i Access for Windows 7.1. There are no plans to release an update for 7.2. In addition, IBM is going to support it only for Windows 8.1. The new IBM i Access Client Solutions is recommended instead of IBM i Access for Windows.
How LANSA Supports To Access IBM i from Anywhere?
LANSA offers aXes tool that allows you to automatically convert legacy 5250 screens into web applications. This allows you to easily create web pages from existing IBM i applications without changing the source code. You can achieve this by installing aXes on your IBM I system, which can be accessed from any device with Internet connectivity.
What is IBM System i Access for Windows?
IBM i Access for Windows is software that allows you to access IBM i applications and data from the Windows operating system.
What is IBM i Access client solutions?
IBM i Access Client Solutions is a Java-based cross-platform solution for managing IBM i applications and data.
Is IBM i the same as iSeries?
IBM i and iSeries are not the same. IBM i is the operating system and iSeries is the hardware.
How do I install IBM access?
- Insert the IBM i Access for Windows CD into your disk drive.
- Select the IBM i Access for Windows option to begin the installation.
- When the IBM i Access for Windows window appears, click Next and follow the prompts.
How install iSeries access Windows?
- Insert the System i Setup and Operations CD into the CD-ROM drive.
- Select the iSeries Access for Windows option to begin the installation.
- When the IBM iSeries Access for Windows window appears, click Next and follow the instructions.